Mark // Feminism 05

DSC_0009DSC_0030DSC_0003DSC_0047DSC_0045DSC_0078

What do you think it means to be a woman?
To me, being a woman means being the head of the family. Unfortunately in the case of single parent homes (which I grew up in), the parent is typically the mother. As human society has evolved, the men have lost their status as leader. The reason for that was 80% earned by strong women-the other 20% was probably because of stupid guys.

What’s your favorite thing about women?
I have to be honest, the first thing I wanted to answer was superficial and pig-headed. But hey, it’s only because I find women very beautiful. To answer the question straight forward, my favorite thing about women is honestly hard to pinpoint. The best I can come up with is that my favorite thing about women is that I’m a man-and in most cases we’re built for each other. All the typical personality traits men and women have seem to pair well with the other. On average most men are pretty relaxed and carefree, and on average most women are stressed out. The opposite side of that could be something like men are forgetful and sometimes TOO relaxed. It’s nice to have a woman there to get your @!$@ in order every now and then right?

How do you feel you are different from women?
I kind of touched on how I feel differently in that our personalities and psyches are just different. To name something specific, I think men and women are the most different when we’re communicating with ourselves. Those moments where you’re in your own world-just you and yourself.

Do you ever change or hide parts of yourself to please society?
Definitely. And I think if someone says they don’t they’re lying. Our society thrives only because we hide pieces of ourselves. If I wanted to act/react how I wanted to in every circumstance we’d be lesser beings. I’m sure you could think that same thing to yourself.

What comes to mind when you hear the word feminism?
I tried to word my answer to this in a way that didn’t sound like I was chauvinist. The truth is the word itself bothers me. I can’t pinpoint why or explain what I mean. I just don’t like the word. What the word stands for however, I enjoy and support. I would not be the man I am today without the women in my life, past & present. For that, all women deserve my support and deserve a little better.

Would you call yourself a feminist?
If someone else called me a feminist, I would agree. So yes! I would say I support equality for women. But I wouldn’t physically say “I’m a feminist.” Again-I don’t know why the word itself bothers me. It just does. I know a lot of people hate the word “moist.” It’s kind of like that. I just don’t like the word.

Why does feminism matter?
Feminism (I’m going strong here, typing it like a big boy) matters because it stands for equality. Equality should be obvious, and it’s obvious that it’s not. There’s really not much else to say about it.

I’m so excited to have guys represented in this series! I hope to get some fresh perspective on the topic of feminism, and be reminded that feminism isn’t just about women and it isn’t anti-men. It’s about equality across the board.
Mark is married to Robyn, he is a funny joke, a kind word and the proud fur dad to the cutest dog named Cleo. I’m a pretty big fan of this this guy, and his beard.  

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Feminism and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s